Transition from Service to Classroom: Helping Student Veterans Succeed at Texas State
DATE: Nov. 9
TIME: 9 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
LOCATION: JCK 460/Avery 365 (streaming at Round Rock)
Presenter(s): Mr. Jesse Silva, Assistant Director, Office of Student Diversity and Inclusion; Ms. Nina Toomer, Financial Aid Advisor, Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships; Dr. Carl Van Aacken, Lab Coordinator and Tutor Corps Co-Director, Student Learning Assistance Center; and Mr. Ross Wood, Career Advisor, Career Services
This workshop for faculty and staff focuses on the unique needs of student Veterans, and offers insight on how assist them in a smooth transition from military service to academic life.
The goal of the workshop is to make Texas State a more “Veteran friendly” campus while helping student Veterans realize their potential as scholars from matriculation through graduation.
The two-and-one-half hour session covers topics such as:
- Today’s demographic of student Veterans,
- Transitioning home from deployment challenges,
- Student Veterans’ needs and risk factors,
- Veteran initiatives and services at Texas State, and
- How you as an individual faculty or staff member can help our student Veterans succeed!
“How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!” —Maya Angelou
How to Register:
- Sign in to your SAP Portal
- Click on the Training and Development tab
- Locate this workshop in the Course Catalog under Organizational Excellence.
Registration opens approximately 3 weeks prior and closes 1 week prior.
If you require special accommodations to participate, please call 5.7899 at least 72 hours prior to the event.