Skip to Content

Illness or Disability

If you experience a non-work-related illness or disability that makes it difficult to perform your job or causes you to miss work, there are university resources available to you.

If you experience a work-related injury, information on what to do can be found on the Environmental Health, Safety & Risk Management website.

blood pressure machine and weekly pill container on countertop

Expand All Content
  • Leave, Benefits and Resources

    • As an employee, there are different forms of sick leave that you can take, including: regular sick leave, extended sick leave and drawing from the sick leave pool. The following information and more details can be found in the University Leave Policy (UPPS 04.04.30).

      Sick Leave

      Employees may take sick leave with pay when sickness, injury, pregnancy, or confinement prevent the employee’s performance of duty or when the employee needs to care for an immediate family member who is sick, or to obtain medical or dental examinations. Learn more in UPPS 04.04.30 Section 04.

      Extended Sick Leave

      Employees must first qualify for and exhaust their sick leave pool entitlements before receiving extended sick leave. The president has delegated the employee’s divisional vice presidents authority to approve extended sick leave, normally not to exceed 30 workdays, on the merits of a particular case. Learn more in UPPS 04.04.30 Section 04.12.

      Sick Leave Pool Procedures

      The sick leave pool is created to benefit certain employees who suffer a catastrophic injury or illness.Learn more in UPPS 04.04.03 Section 05.

    • An employee with a disability who seeks an accommodation to perform the essential functions of their job, may initiate the accommodation process by making a verbal or written request to any of the following: their immediate supervisor, the ADA Coordinator or a member of the Workplace Accommodation Interactive Team (WAIT), which includes representatives from Student Affairs, Human Resources, and Equity and Inclusion. 

      The ADA Coordinator is available to meet with any employee with a disability who plans to make a request for accommodations and can assist the employee in exploring accommodation options.

      For more information, visit the Workplace Accommodations website.


      Dr. Sherri Benn
      Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs & Director of Student Diversity & Inclusion
      ADA Coordinator

    • With all types of leave, you should notify your manager and seek approval for time away from work with as much advance notice as possible. For leaves, you should contact the Office of Human Resources for specific information regarding a leave of absence prior to the start of your leave, when possible.

      The Family and Medical Leave Procedures (FMLA) outlines coverage eligibility and details.

    • Bobcat Balance is your work life and employee assistance program. Our program provides various free and confidential services and resources to help you through life experiences, including resource information on: elder care, counseling,  financial planning, legal issues, and more.